how to be a speech-language pathologist?

Caroline Bowen cbowen at ihug.com.au
Fri Jun 29 05:03:46 UTC 2007

Dear Jane,

I would like to add to the helpful information Elaine has provided about the
United States requirements for certification as a speech-language
pathologist (SLP).
http://www.asha.org/about/membership-certification/handbooks/slp/

There are Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) programs available at the
University of Hong Kong: http://www.hku.hk/speech/ and at the National
University of Singapore: http://www.med.nus.edu.sg/dgms/SLP.shtml

Because Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) is a clinical profession with very
high standards in most places that it exists, part of the curriculum
involves closely supervised, and closely "regulated" clinical practice,
actually assessing treating patients with communication disorders. This is
one reason why self-directed academic study of "the knowledge" of
speech-language pathology and related disciplines such as anatomy,
neurology, linguistics, psychology, etc. cannot lead to a recognised
professional qualification in SLP.

Here are other links that may be of help or interest to you:
http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/Asia.htm
http://www.shrs.uq.edu.au/asiapacific/
http://home.comcast.net/~bilingualslp/
http://www.comdisinternational.com/welcome.htm
http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/postgraduate/coursework/slpa.htm
http://www.speech-language-therapy.com/slpworld.htm

This is about the knowledge, clinical preparation and skills a person needs
to be an SLP in Australia:
http://www.speechpathologyaustralia.org.au/Content.aspx?p=78

Best wishes,
Caroline