Use of CHILDES by blind people

Mick Perkins m.perkins at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Nov 13 13:42:17 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues

One of my students - who happens to be blind - is starting a research
project which involves access to linked CLAN and audio files. She can access
both reasonably successfully using a dedicated text to speech software
system called JAWS, but has not yet made use of CLAN programs for data
analysis. If you are an experienced blind user of CHILDES, or know of
someone who is, I would be grateful for any advice you may have on how best
to proceed. I'd also be interested to know whether there is a community of
blind researchers with an interest in child language/ linguistics /speech
language pathology who I could put my student in touch with.

Many thanks

Mick Perkins, PhD
Professor of Clinical Linguistics
Department of Human Communication Sciences
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
UK

Tel: (+44) (0)114 2222408