Chomsky: Obsolete?

Dan I. Slobin slobin at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 11 19:00:44 UTC 2007

I agree.  Note, that I made no claims about "relevance."  Clearly,
linguists like Chomsky and Halliday are relevant in many ways, and
their thinking
still seriously influences much current work in various fields.  In
my case, I took courses from Chomsky in the early sixties, when he was my hero;
he definitely refocused the field and phrased new and fruitful
questions.  And I learned much from Halliday when he lectured at
Berkeley, decades
ago.  With regard to Chomsky, the question is whether his current
approach is useful for the fields that I listed in my last email.

Dan