Chomsky: Obsolete?

Lois Bloom lmb32 at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 11 21:24:07 UTC 2007

As someone who, like Dan, cut my teeth on the Chomsky doctrine in the 1960s, my own work evolved subsequently in a different direction altogether in frustrated response to the persistent isolation of language within the GTG framework.   It's worth pointing out, in response to Katie's comment about undergraduates "thinking that Chomsky and Skinner are the only two people ever to have written anything about language acquisition" that, indeed, neither Chomsky nor Skinner actually studied real live children acquiring a real live language.  In a letter to me (dated November 2, 1987 regarding discussion at a BU conference), Noam referred to "many of the people [there] well-known in child language acquisition studies (about which I know next to nothing)."  The MIT enterprise is about acquisition in only the most abstract, theoretical sense admitting neither the rest of cognition nor a child's social and emotional life.  One might well wonder why, in the world according to MIT,  these things were, at best, ignored or, at worst, denigrated.  Perhaps fitting them into the theory is just too hard.

Lois Bloom