Chomsky: Obsolete?

Bruno Estigarribia aananda at stanford.edu
Fri Oct 12 01:45:34 UTC 2007

I welcome Tom's approach: let's discuss concrete claims. However, I must
disagree because I don't think we have the same sense of "explanation"
in mind. For instance, if explaining the oddity of "what did who eat"
depends on defining an otherwise unmotivated notion of "superiority",
then I don't know what "explanation" means any longer.
(In fact, (1) I---together with other colleagues at Stanford---have done
work showing that superiority is best explained by processing biases:
the data are gradient, D-linked explanations a la Pesetsky are
unmotivated and empirically wrong, and "superiority" does not exist as
soon as more than two wh-words are involved; (2) Chomsky himself has
lately "decided" that superiority is not really a core grammar
phenomenon but something to do with focus---take that for what it's worth)
Many of us linguists feel that generative syntax (in the Chomskyan
sense, not in the broader sense that includes LFG and HPSG) only works
at the shallowest levels of data, helped along by such dubious and
unfounded distinctions as competence/performance and core/periphery, and
the unrestrained use of speaker/researcher intuitions. So, I would very
much love for Tom to tell us what the explanations he has in mind are so
that we can discuss them openly here.
Cheers,

Bruno Estigarribia