Chomsky: Obsolete?

William Gregory Sakas sakas at hunter.cuny.edu
Sat Oct 13 02:48:17 UTC 2007

Hi Everyone,

IMHO Tom is right on this one. Chomsky moved linguistics into
a field of inquiry similar to those of (for want of a better term)
natural science  To say Chomsky is obsolete, is basically to say that
that move was wrong (NB we've been discussing Chomsky 'big-picture'
here, not, say Minimalist Program or even autonomy of syntax). The 'facts',
the linguistic data, should to be explained by a comprehensive theory
that explains all -- not 70 percent, 80 percent or 90 percent.

A theory posed in a generative (formal) framework is the right
way to go about this. Though as Tom points out, it is a big big task.
Short that, we let linguistics fall into studying day-to-day
language as art ... insightful, well-thought-out, meaningful
interpretation ... probably an approach some of  us would advocate.

But, unlike art, there are quantifiable 'wrongs' in human language
(again as Tom points out). To me, as a scientist, this means that there
must be a theory out there that can make fully accurate predictions
about the rights-and-wrongs of human utterances (or at least
'Turing-accurate' predictions).

Of course Chomsky is/has been wrong on many counts, as he himself
often admits, but to say he's obsolete is to say that Galileo is the same
when Galileo (re)invented a method of scientific investigation that's
still the fundamental basis for scientific inquiry today.

Best all,
-- Wm

William Gregory Sakas, Ph.D.
Computer Science and Linguistics