Chomsky: Obsolete?

Lise Menn Lise.Menn at Colorado.EDU
Sat Oct 13 20:59:27 UTC 2007

Tom, I frankly don't understand some of this. First,  did you really
mean ' an implied "you" not "he"  when you are discussing
imperatives? If that's NOT a simple pronoun exchange slip, can you
explain more?

Can you give an example of a difference between exclamatives and
imperatives that is not explainable by pragmatics/semantics?

And could you elaborate what you mean by 'a system that treats
pragmatics and semantics as confirmation routines for syntax'? I take
it you mean that the child connects syntactic evidence to an innate
grammar first, and the role pragmatics and semantics can play is
secondary.  Would you let such non-syntactic evidence disconfirm a
hypothesis based on syntax, or only confirm it?  In either case, can
you explain why you take the position that you do?
	Lise

On Oct 13, 2007, at 7:42 AM, Tom Roeper wrote:

>        IN 1975 Chomsky said acquisition had to be consistent with
> "with triggering experience" which refers to more than syntax which
> I asked
> him about and he immediately agreed.    Imperatives, which command
> a child's attention, could be linked immediately to structural
> representations
> so that the child knows that there is an implied "he" not "you".
> The whole
> experience is necessary to set the subtle properties of imperatives
> in place---
> and distinguish them from exclamatives (a paper linking semantics
> and two word utterances has been written by me and Chris POtts if
> anyone
> is interested).
>        Getting the deductive part linked to a system that treats
> pragmatics
> and semantics as confirmation routines for syntax---that is the
> challenge
> we must meet I think.  If we can model this, then we have a first step
> toward incorporating the kinds of data that are implicitly being
> referred to in this discussion I think, to explain language
> acquisition.
> To explain language use is quite a different matter---but one that can
> give insights into acquisiiton model.
>
> Tom
>
> On 10/12/07, William Gregory Sakas <sakas at hunter.cuny.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> IMHO Tom is right on this one. Chomsky moved linguistics into
>> a field of inquiry similar to those of (for want of a better term)
>> natural science  To say Chomsky is obsolete, is basically to say that
>> that move was wrong (NB we've been discussing Chomsky 'big-picture'
>> here, not, say Minimalist Program or even autonomy of syntax). The
>> 'facts',
>> the linguistic data, should to be explained by a comprehensive theory
>> that explains all -- not 70 percent, 80 percent or 90 percent.
>>
>> A theory posed in a generative (formal) framework is the right
>> way to go about this. Though as Tom points out, it is a big big task.
>> Short that, we let linguistics fall into studying day-to-day
>> language as art ... insightful, well-thought-out, meaningful
>> interpretation ... probably an approach some of  us would advocate.
>>
>> But, unlike art, there are quantifiable 'wrongs' in human language
>> (again as Tom points out). To me, as a scientist, this means that
>> there
>> must be a theory out there that can make fully accurate predictions
>> about the rights-and-wrongs of human utterances (or at least
>> 'Turing-accurate' predictions).
>>
>> Of course Chomsky is/has been wrong on many counts, as he himself
>> often admits, but to say he's obsolete is to say that Galileo is
>> the same
>> when Galileo (re)invented a method of scientific investigation that's
>> still the fundamental basis for scientific inquiry today.
>>
>> Best all,
> [...]

Lise Menn                      Home Office: 303-444-4274
1625 Mariposa Ave	Fax: 303-413-0017
Boulder CO 80302

Professor Emerita of Linguistics
Fellow, Institute of Cognitive Science
University of  Colorado

Secretary, AAAS Section Z [Linguistics]

Campus Mail Address:
UCB 594, Institute for Cognitive Science

Campus Physical Address:
CINC 234
1777 Exposition Ave, Boulder