Cantonese & Mandarin datives

Virginia Yip (LIN) cymatt at arts.cuhk.edu.hk
Wed Oct 17 03:09:59 UTC 2007

Concerning verbs of future possession (e.g., offer, promise, bequeath,
award)
we made the point that Cantonese 'offer' and 'promise' allow neither
construction, but use a complementation construction instead ("I promise to
give you...").
I'd like to draw your attention to the following data from Angel Chan who
noted the possibility of prepositional dative and double dative with these
verbs:

offer 'tai4gung1'
PD: 	ngo5 ho2ji3  tai4gung1 gau2zit3        bei2   lei5
      I    can     offer     ten-percent-off   give  you
     "I can offer you a ten percent discount"

promise 'jing1sing4'
DO: 		keoi5 jing1sing4  ngo5 saam1 gin6 si6
          3SG   promise   me  three  CL  things
          "He has promised me three things."

PD :		keoi5 jing1sing4 li1 bun2 syu1 bei2  ngo5
          3SG  promise  this CL  book give  me
         "He has promised me this book!"

bequeath 'wai4lau4'
PD:		keoi5  lau4     hou2do1  coi4caan2 bei2 go3  zai2
		3SG   leave    much     asset    give  CL  son
		"He has bequeathed his son a great fortune."

Virginia