REPOST with formatting

Carson Schutze cschutze at ucla.edu
Thu Oct 18 03:18:20 UTC 2007

   [SORRY, previous version lost the distinction between quoting and
my replies, this will be easier to read.]

   OK, in response to what Matthew suggests “is wrong with the C/P
distinction”:

·      “In everyday usage, the notions of knowing and using a language
seem inextricably bound” (Kaufer, 1979, p.257). To illustrate, Kaufer
points out that one must strain hard to find cases of people using a
language they do not know (reciting Latin prayers, perhaps) or, on the
other hand, knowing a language they cannot use (e.g., some forms of
aphasia). A similar point is also attributed by Stemberger to Fromkin:
“assuming that performance is based on competence, we expect
performance to reflect many aspects of competence” (InfoCHILDES,
October 14th 2007)

This seems to be an argument against the idea that C and P are totally
unconnected, do not interact, do not jointly influence behavior, or
something like that. But to claim that they are logically distinct
does not imply any of those other things, so this does not bear on the
issue.

  “performance factors” can always be invoked to explain away
awkward-shaped pearls that fall from children’s mouths. If they don’t
fit the hypothesis under scrutiny they are rejected, seemingly on good
grounds, but, of course, invoking performance in this way is not at
all well motivated.

I agree, as discussed in my previous posting. But this isn’t the fault
of drawing the C/P distinction, this is the fault of insufficient
research.

·      Another view: the competence-performance distinction relies on
a particular account of adult grammar (Chomsky’s) that is not to
everyone’s taste. If one rejects a Chomskyan version of grammar as the
endpoint of development, then the competence-performance distinction
is rendered redundant in the process (Ambridge, Rowland & Pine, in
press).

   This is a total nonsequitur—see Gary’s posting. C/P has nothing to
do with any particular account of grammar, even if both were written
about by the same guy (who has repeatedly noted that he did not
“propose” C/P since it’s always been around as an assumption, except
perhaps for the Skinnerians).

·      One possible alternative is offered by McClelland & Bybee (in
press), based on the notion of gradience, which they take to be “an
inherent feature of language representation, processing, and learning”
(McClelland & Bybee, in press, p.1). This view clashes with the
traditional notion of grammatical competence in which a given
utterance is either grammatical or ungrammatical.

Another nonsequitur. In fact, in the earliest work on generative
syntax (Logical Structures..., 1955) already incorporated degrees of
“grammaticalness”, as Chomsky called it then, as do many versions of
OT today (while still being models of grammar, not models of
processing).

·      Connectionist approaches also often clash with idealizations
like competence, since the latter “excludes aspects of linguistic
performance that are .... central to the structure of utterances”
(Seidenberg & MacDonald, 1999, p.572). This point is exemplified by
Hoff (under review) with her observation that social factors can
affect the linguistic form of observed child speech output (for
example, the contrast witnessed in two-year-olds’ conversation with
their own mothers versus a researcher).

Competence doesn’t exclude that or anything else, if it is systematic
behavior (it does exclude blunders, as Gary says). I sense here some
allusion to the passage in Aspects that talks about an “ideal
speaker-hearer...”, but even on the ridiculous assumption that
everyone working in this paradigm is bound by every word uttered by
its de facto leader 40+ years ago, no such exclusion would follow.

> Perhaps we should talk instead about two kinds of competence: one
> concerned with linguistic competence, the other with speech
> production competence. At some level, therefore, it may be proper to
> acknowledge a split between competence and performance, or
> competence in one domain from competence in another.

Right. Certainly Chomsky and everyone else I know would be content
with positing grammatical competence and sociolinguistic competence,
for example (which does not preclude interactions between them, just
like positing syntactic competence and phonological competence doesn’t
preclude such interactions). It’s all about carving up the empirical
pie (which is all behavior, hence performance, as I think we all
agree) in a way that gives us the most scientifically appealing
theories of each of the domains.

   Carson