Cantonese & Mandarin datives

Kathryn Kohnert kohne005 at umn.edu
Thu Oct 18 13:00:05 UTC 2007

Dear Henrietta-
I forwarded your question to Pui Fong Kan and pasted below is here response.
Best,
Kathryn

FROM PUI FONG KAN:
There are two books about Cantonese & Mandarin grammar that you might find
useful -- Cantonese : a comprehensive grammar by Stephen Matthews Mandarin
Chinese : a functional reference grammar by Charles N. Li and Sandra A.
Thompson

My thoughts (as a Cantonese & Mandarin speaker) about the questions ---

1.  Punctual action involving unaccompanied transfer of an object from agent
to recipient such as throw, toss, and kick (the subclasses are based on
Pinker, 1989),

Cantonese:   PD?                         DO?
Mandarin:    PD?                          DO?

2.  Verbs of future possession (e.g.,  offer, promise, bequeath, award)

Cantonese:   PD?                         DO?
Mandarin:    PD?                          DO?

# 1 & 2
Different datives are used in Cantonese & Mandarin. But basically they are
used in the same position in a sentence in both languages. Both PD & DO are
possible in both languages. #2 involves a word for the future.

3.  Verbs of communication such as tell, write, e-mail, fax, telephone.

Cantonese:  PD?                          DO?
Mandarin:   PD?                           DO?

# 3
Differences in Cantonese & Mandarin
Mandarin -- both PD & DO
Cantonese -- PD (It would be awkward using DO.)

4.  With respect to agentive passives (i.e., passives with a by-phrase in
English),  are there are salient differences between Cantonese and Mandarin?
Chinese versus English?

Basically the agentive passives are very similar in Cantonese & Mandarin.
Passive constructions are quite different between Chinese and English.
For more information about the differences between the passive constructions
in Chinese and in English, see
http://bowland-files.lancs.ac.uk/corplang/LCMC/
www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/xiaoz/papers/passive%20paper.doc

Pui Fong Kan (kanx0004 at umn.edu)