references to work on the acquisiton of adverbs

Sigal Uziel-Karl sigaluk at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 22:57:52 UTC 2007

Dear List members,

A few weeks ago I posted a query to the list with a request for references
on the acquisition of adverbs and adverbial clauses. I wish to thank all
those who responded to my query: Tina Bennett-Kastor, Ruth Berman, Jill de
Villiers, Serap Durmus, Anne Graffam Walker, Ines Ikt?mi, Danielle Matthews,
Elma Nap-Kolhoff, Tom Rankin, Tom Roeper, Kristen Syrett and Joshua Viau.

Below is a summary of the responses I received for the benefit of the
Info-Childes subscribers.

Additional references/comments/suggestions on this topic are more than
welcome.

Best,

Sigal Uziel-Karl.

Acquisition of Adverbs – summary:

Tina Bennett-Kastor referred me to her work on the acquisition of adverbs in
a narrative contexts:

"Cohesion and Predication in Child Narrative", Journal of Child Language 13
(1986), 353-370 (English)

"Predications and Nonreferential Cohesion in Irish-speaking Children's
Narratives," Functions of Language 6 (2) (1999), 195-241.

Ruth Berman referred me to a paper of hers on lexical classes, and pointed
out that there has not been much research on the acquisition of adverbs in
Hebrew.

Jill de Villiers referred me to her work on the semantics of
quantificational adverbs and barriers:

Philip,W. & de Villiers, J.G.  (1992) Monotonicity and the acquisition of
weak islands. In Clark,E. (ed) Proceedings of the twenty-fourth Stanford
Child Language Conference, Stanford University CSLI.

Serap Durmus referred me to her work on the acquisition of manner adverbs in
Turkish.

Ines Ikt?mi referred me to work on the acquisition of adverbs by adult L2
learners at the early stages of acquisition:

Starren, M. (1996). Temporal adverbials as a blocking factor in the
grammaticalization process of L2 learners. In T. van der Avoird & M. Corsius
(éds) Proceedings of the CLS Opening, Academic Year '96'-97, Tilburg, Center
for Language Studies.

Danielle Matthews referred me to work by H. Behrens on the very early
development of temporal language and some reference to temporal adverbials:

Behrens, H. (2001). Cognitive-conceptual development and the acquisition of
grammatical morphemes: the development of time concepts and verb tense. In
M. Bowerman & S. Levinson (Eds.), Language acquisition and conceptual
development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Elma Nap-Kolhoff referred me to a few lines on the acquisition of adverbs in
Dutch in Gillis & De Houwer, 'The acquisition of Dutch'. Amsterdam: John
Benjamins, page 44.

Tom Rankin referred me to a PhD dissertation by Jill Gilkerson "Acquiring
English Particle Verbs" which looks mainly at L2 acquisition of particle and
adverbial structures but there are also comparisons to child L1 acquisition.

Tom Roeper drew  my attention the generalization that the really independent
subject oriented cases arise only late:

             John ran quickly

             John ran angily

(the latter add a thematic role)

Kristen Syrett referred me to a discussion in her dissertation on how
infants attend to the meaning and distribution of certain degree adverbials
when learning about the semantic representations of gradable adjectives.