references to work on the acquisiton of adverbs

Evan J Kidd Evan.J.Kidd at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 07:25:06 UTC 2007

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered) Sigal (& info-childes),

Holger Diessel has a chapter on the acquisition on adverbial clauses in his monograph:

Diessel, H. (2004). The acquisition of complex sentences. Cambridge: CUP.

BW

Evan
_________________________________ Dr Evan Kidd Lecturer in Psychology School of Psychological Sciences University of Manchester Oxford Road M13 9PL Manchester, UK Ph: +44 (0) 161 275 2578 Fax: +44 (0) 161 275 8587 http://www.psych-sci.manchester.ac.uk/staff/108727 __________________________________
From: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org [mailto:info-childes at mail.talkbank.org] On Behalf Of Sigal Uziel-Karl Sent: 02 September 2007 11:44 To: info-childes at mail.talkbank.org Subject: references to work on the acquisiton of adverbs

Dear List members,

A few weeks ago I posted a query to the list with a request for references on the acquisition of adverbs and adverbial clauses. I wish to thank all those who responded to my query: Tina Bennett-Kastor, Ruth Berman, Jill de Villiers, Serap Durmus, Anne Graffam Walker, Ines Ikt?mi, Danielle Matthews, Elma Nap-Kolhoff, Tom Rankin, Tom Roeper, Kristen Syrett and Joshua Viau.
Below is a summary of the responses I received for the benefit of the Info-Childes subscribers.
Additional references/comments/suggestions on this topic are more than welcome.

Best,
Sigal Uziel-Karl.

Acquisition of Adverbs -  summary:

Tina Bennett-Kastor referred me to her work on the acquisition of adverbs in a narrative contexts:
"Cohesion and Predication in Child Narrative", Journal of Child Language 13 (1986), 353-370 (English)
"Predications and Nonreferential Cohesion in Irish-speaking Children's Narratives," Functions of Language 6 (2) (1999), 195-241.

Ruth Berman referred me to a paper of hers on lexical classes, and pointed out that there has not been much research on the acquisition of adverbs in Hebrew.

Jill de Villiers referred me to her work on the semantics of quantificational adverbs and barriers:
Philip,W. & de Villiers, J.G. (1992) Monotonicity and the acquisition of weak islands. In Clark,E. (ed) Proceedings of the twenty-fourth Stanford Child Language Conference, Stanford University CSLI.

Serap Durmus referred me to her work on the acquisition of manner adverbs in Turkish.

Ines Ikt?mi referred me to work on the acquisition of adverbs by adult L2 learners at the early stages of acquisition:
Starren, M. (1996). Temporal adverbials as a blocking factor in the grammaticalization process of L2 learners. In T. van der Avoird & M. Corsius (éds) Proceedings of the CLS Opening, Academic Year '96'-97, Tilburg, Center for Language Studies.

Danielle Matthews referred me to work by H. Behrens on the very early development of temporal language and some reference to temporal adverbials:
Behrens, H. (2001). Cognitive-conceptual development and the acquisition of grammatical morphemes: the development of time concepts and verb tense. In M. Bowerman & S. Levinson (Eds.), Language acquisition and conceptual development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Elma Nap-Kolhoff referred me to a few lines on the acquisition of adverbs in Dutch in Gillis & De Houwer, 'The acquisition of Dutch'. Amsterdam: John Benjamins, page 44.

Tom Rankin referred me to a PhD dissertation by Jill Gilkerson "Acquiring English Particle Verbs" which looks mainly at L2 acquisition of particle and adverbial structures but there are also comparisons to child L1 acquisition.

Tom Roeper drew my attention the generalization that the really independent subject oriented cases arise only late:
John ran quickly
John ran angily
(the latter add a thematic role)

Kristen Syrett referred me to a discussion in her dissertation on how infants attend to the meaning and distribution of certain degree adverbials when learning about the semantic representations of gradable adjectives.