IRB issue

Laura Wagner wagner.602 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 8 16:15:34 UTC 2008

Hi Sarita,

I'm on the IRB board at my school and we have exactly the same policy: you
need to have something from the school saying that it's OK with them for you
to recruit participants at their school before you start collecting data.
Where you ended up is a common arrangement here.  That is, you can have the
research approved in general but you are required to submit an amendment
once you have the specific permission from the schools.

I agree in general that this is a pain of a complication -- I've never
worked in a preschool without talking to the director first and I can't
imagine how one would get access to the recruitment process (let alone
running the subjects!) without the positive good will of someone in the
school administration.

>From the IRB's perspective, though, they want to be sure that you're doing
things right.  Just as importantly, they want the name of someone there in
case there are any issues that come up, such as a parent who complains about
what's going on.  And, since you are going to be talking to the director
anyway, it's not really a big deal to get a letter from them (I often just
write the letter for them and get them to sign it).

The biggest pain is the time lag: I agree that having to wait 3 weeks is
just terrible.  If you're planning on talking to your IRB, talk about this
part because it's the only thing they can likely do much about.  What Brian
suggests might work, and would require only that a member of the IRB's
bureaucratic staff review the letter (as opposed to getting a full member of
the board).

Good luck,

Laura

Laura Wagner