equipment recommendations

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Tue Apr 22 11:40:17 UTC 2008

Dear Jana,
    Just a couple more remarks on the video equipment issue.  First, I
think that using transmitter mikes is a great idea.  In regard to the
idea that some new cameras are not coming with audio input plugs, I
can say that this is only the case for the very lowest end new
equipment.  For example, there was a Panasonic hard disk recorder
model for about $600 that didn't have one, but the slightly better
model for $700 did.
   Peter is right that the mini-DV is still the most stable and well
supported format.  He and Anna are right about the importance of
avoiding the direct-to-DV recorders at all cost.  However, there is
another new format coming out now that is worth considering.  This is
the AVCHD format which provides exceptionally high definition
recording in a very small unit with memory stick recording for about
one hour on a memory stick.  The downside of this format is that you
then have to master the software for compressing, but that software
will become available more generally in the next year and there is
already a great system for Mac.
    The CHILDES Project continues to test new equipment in this area
and I continue to update my suggestions for equipment at http://talkbank.org/dv
   where this is all discussed in greater depth.

--Brian MacWhinney