equipment recommendations

chrisletts chris.letts at ncl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 22 11:36:55 UTC 2008

yes here we are again with the equipment market changing and us
frantically trying to keep up!

We're gradually changing from DVC tape camcorders, to memory card
camcorders - at the moment using Sanyo HD2 which produce mp4 files of
good quality which can be edited and played back with QuickTime and
even on many mobile devices. These cameras are not perfect - the sound
levels are nothing like as high as the old SONY DVC camcorders,
although the quality is fine. They are very portable and easy to use
though and ideal for student use as they can copy the results straight
onto their laptop.

Yes I agree steer clear of any DVD-based machines as we found them a
nightmare to explain to users, and the recordings may or may not play
on this or that equipment !

Don't forget that virtually all camcorder sound is compressed. Due to
this, in cases where we need pristine sound we don't usually bother
with adding microphones to the camcorder, but make simultaneous audio
recordings on our Edirol R9's - there is software available to allow
to to sync the audio and video back together if absoutely necessary.
If we do use microphones these are normally Sennheiser radio mikes.