bilingual babbling?

Barbara Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Wed Feb 6 20:03:54 UTC 2008

Dear Carol,

There is interesting material on bilingual babies' perception of
their two languages, which you will find reviewed in articles by
Janet Werker (in McCardle & Hoff, 2006, and Applied Psycholinguistics
2007, volume 28 (3)). (I report on it a little in an article in the
forthcoming Cambridge Handbook of Child Language, edited by Edith
Bavin.)  The psycholinguistic methodologies show pretty clearly that
bilingual babies can distinguish the phonetic/ phonemic
characteristics of their two languages "prelinguistically."  Whether
they can reproduce the differences reliably--again prelinguistically--
is still open to debate.  But your student should know that there is
debate.  Our student Ana Navarro summarized various positions in the
introduction to her dissertation, part of which is in the ISB4 volume.

Navarro, A., Pearson, B. Z., Cobo-Lewis, A.B., & Oller, D. K.
(2005).   Differentiation in early phonological adaptation?   In J.
Cohen, K. McAlister, K. Rolstad, & J. MacSwan (Eds.) ISB4:
Proceedings of the 4 th International Symposium on Bilingualism (pp.
1690-1702).   Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Press.

Your student's question about mixing the elements of both languages
depends on the prior question of when babies can be said to have
elements of both languages to mix.  There are claims to the contrary--
and we think we see some movement away from universal tendencies in
production by 11 months--but we think the common claim to hear babies
babbling in different languages (bilinguals, or monolinguals in
different languages) depends on a combination of expectation on the
part of the hearer and the production of early words interspersed in
the babbling, which persists for quite some time.

Ana's experiment used early words produced by children 26 months old,
and with children that old, listeners were barely able to distinguish
the language the child was using when they didn't have the lexical
information to guide them.  That is not prelinguistic and it doesn't
mean that there might not be some nascent tendencies toward
differentiation in the acoustics of the speech signal, but the ears
*of people who don't know which language they are hearing* don't
reliably pick the differences out. (Until computers, it was hard to
remove language context in the tapes people used for the studies.) In
words (again not babbling), we and others have noted some intrusion
of one language in the other, but apparently much less than in the
popular idea illustrated in your example.  There are also dominance
patterns, as you mention, so some children, even simultaneous
bilinguals, do show the patterns of only one language.  Ana worked
with Spanish and English, which may be more similar than French and
Chinese, but they are nonetheless rhythmically very different.

Some of the people studying the acquisition of Chinese tones can also
weigh in here about how soon after the onset of canonical babbling
Chinese children use different tonal patterns.  But there's my two-
cents.

Till soon,

Barbara

On Feb 6, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Carol Slater wrote:

> Dear All--
> After a discussion of the influence of local language on babbling,
> a student asked whether anything was known about babbling in babies
> who heard two languages regularly. Would they show both influences,
> e.g., produce French sounds with Chinese tonal differences? Settle
> for one of the languages? Does anybody have a clue? Many thanks for
> any information (or reassurance that we don't really know much
> about it).
> Carol Slater
> Alma College
> Alma MI 48801

Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph. D.
Depts. of Linguistics and Communication Disorders
Research Associate, Coordinator
South College 226
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003