you won't believe this

Kathy Hirsh-Pasek khirshpa at temple.edu
Thu Feb 28 12:57:34 UTC 2008

I just read the article in the NYTimes on baby techtronics part of
which described the Lena system.  Yes, Lena is in the news again.
The adds from their web site tell us that it is relevant to any
parent concerned about "language delays, autism or transitioning an
adopted child!"  I am copying the description from the Times and
thought we might all want to check out how our research is
interpreted in the marketplace. Does this require a response from our
community?  What is our professional responsibility when this keeps
coming up in the news?

Kathy

Last on our list was the LENA System ($399) a language measurement
tool developed by Infoture, in Boulder, Colo. The system is based on
research demonstrating a correlation between the amount parents talk
to their babies during their first three years and their professional
success later in life.

The LENA System includes a credit card device and several children’s
outfits designed with large pockets in the front. Several days a
month, you slip the device into the clothing and it records
conversation between parent and child.

At the end of the day, you plug it into your personal computer.
Special software (available for Windows, but not Macs) analyzes the
speech — separating adult words and baby gurgling from other noises —
and reports on how many words you have spoken to your baby, how often
your baby responds, and where you match up against the rest of the
American population, to ensure your infant is getting that all-
important verbal edge on other infants.

My girls are a bit too young for the LENA, which Infoture recommends
for infants from 2 months to 4 years. Instead I called Jennifer
Jacobs, a mother of two from Boise, Idaho, who used the device to
ensure her youngest child, Katherine, was not getting left behind.

http://www.lenababy.com/