IPA fonts

Brian macw at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 31 22:08:31 UTC 2008

Dear Carolyn,
    There is no difference between what is necessary for CLAN and what
is necessary for a basic IPA font.  Simply having Arial Unicode is not
enough.  You also have to have a method of telling the keyboard which
of the more than 64,000 characters in Unicode should be bound to which
strokes of which keys.  That is where Keyman comes in.  Think of it as
a new language with non-Roman characters, like Hebrew or Russian.  If
you want to type Russian on an English keyboard in Windows, you have
to not only have a font with Russian characters, but also a way of
telling Windows how to remap the keyboard.

   For IPA, the choice of a particular Unicode font is not too
crucial.   Doulos, Charis, and Arial all cover IPA.  Arial also covers
Chinese, Japanese, and do on, but if all you care about is English and
IPA, then the SIL fonts are fine.  Hopefully you do not have old data,
so you could ignore the discussion of converting from SILIPA93.

On Mac, you also have to have a font and a keyboard, but the
installations are easier and IPAKeys comes with lovely easy
documentation, so it is hard to get lost.

--Brian