you won't believe this

Margaret Fleck margaretmfleck at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 23:02:28 UTC 2008

--- Tom Roeper <roeper at linguist.umass.edu> wrote:

> Dear Everyone,
..... How strenuously you push a child who is behind in reading is
> largely a parental decision. In retrospect I think we pushed
>
> my daughter, now in law school, a bit too hard when she had trouble reading,
> though her continuing absolute inability to spell suggests a deep difference
> is still present.)

Actually, these days it seems to be a political decision.    Since the public
schools in the US suffer
rather dire consequences if the kids (disabled or not) can't pass standardized
tests, these
kids now get pushed rather hard, regardless of what the parents want.

Margaret (Margaret Fleck, U. Illinois)