you won't believe this

Molly Millians mmillians at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 16:23:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

For my two cents...

As I special education teacher/doctoral student,  I agree with your
comments. I find that the drive to increase test scores dominates not only
reading but other aspects of children's development.  This is based upon the
readings in educational newsletters and policy reports, as well as from
speaking with parents and observing  in many different schools. This outcome
based view seemed to be part of the LENA information for parents.

After looking at the LENA website, I found the marketing of the tool to
reflect the drive  for results. It reinforced the importance of parents to
talking  their children, but not necessarily how. From a teaching
perspective, quality is as important. The trend I am seeing through the
review of records, test scores, and from parent and teacher reports for
elementary school-aged children is they  have developed adequate expressive
language, especially in vocabulary recognition and in the  length of
utterances.   However, it is their application, their depth of
understanding, and their ability to generalize that is concerning. If
parents are to use the LENA as a tool, it will be important to provide
information on how to interact with the infant.

There was an interesting report on NPR Morning Edition  on Thursday,
February 21st about the impact of the limited opportunities children have
for imaginary, unstructured play and children's ability to self-regulate
this included the use of language.  This was two-part report and spoke to a
range of psychologists, teachers, and a cultural historian who explored
play, culture, and child development. The piece was well researched and was
easy to understand for parents and those without a background on child
development. It would be beneficial for more reports of this be become
available for parents.

 I like the idea of providing parents information generated from those who
research in the field, such as the NPR report..It would be important for the
articles etc. to be provided by those who are not vested in the success of a
product.

Molly Millians (Marcus Institute, Atlanta GA/University of South Africa)