reliability, cueing, and neurotic parenting

Kim Oller koller at memphis.edu
Tue Mar 4 16:45:01 UTC 2008

Dear All, but especially Peter and Isabelle,
I shouldn't try to speak for Infoture, as I am just an advisor, so let
me just respond to a couple of points that I happen to have good
information on and that might be helpful. I know that if you have
concerns about any aspect of  the company's work, they welcome direct
contacts. Also if you are interested in the database, you can contact
them to see if something can be worked out to make aspects of it
available to you for research -- I am doing that myself. I have been
told that a formal option for licensing is anticipated in the future,
but in the meantime, why not make suggestions about whatever might be
useful to you?

I will speak boldly on one point, which Isabelle raised. I have been
present at enough Board meetings to be certain that no one at Infoture
is seeking to have LENA replace SLP's or psychologists or
pediatricians. On the contrary, the goal is to provide new tools to
supplement and assist professionals in their work -- for example to
provide a basis to obtain naturalistic data on conversation at home
(at least in terms of amount of adult and child talk, and
conversational turns). I am not sure how the impression could have
been given that Infoture might have a goal to replace professionals,
but I would hope that any one who has that impression would voice the
opinion to the company and explain what had been done to make it seem
so -- I'm sure they would want to clarify.

On whether there has been validation research on the LENA as it
currently stands, the answer is yes, and lots of it. Very large scale.
Much of the data are posted on the Infoture website at Lenababy.com
(choose "Researchers Click Here", then "Research" and you'll find a
list of tech reports). Of course there's lots more that can be done,
and there are indeed massive additional efforts going on to improve
the identification algorithms and to validate their performance.

A last point is about CHAT. The research version of LENA (which I am
beta testing at the moment) provides a conversion of processed audio
files that is CHAT/CLAN compatible. I am now categorizing utterances
produced by my daughter (and people talking with her) that were
located by LENA software and then converted to a .cha file. I use the
Sonic mode in CLAN to access the whole waveform (up to 16 hours). This
is a nice aid to locating large numbers of utterances -- the LENA
software indicates for you the periods of time where high vocal
activity occurs, and if you want to transcribe selectively (which I
need to, since I can't categorize every hour of evey day of recording
that I am looking at), you can focus on periods of high activity or
low activity. I'm hoping to report on this work for the next ASHA
convention.

Best wishes,
Kim