Inner speech and sentence processing

Molly Millians mmillians at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 02:16:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

When you refer to inner speech are you using the term to describe rehearsal
of phonological information in the working memory system?  If so, you might
want to look into the work of Alan Baddeley as well as Susan Gathercole and
Susan Pickering.  Their work on the phonological loop and retaining
information might be useful. Also, Joe Torgensen has written about the
phonological processor  and rehearsal in the book Attention, Memory, and
Executive Functioning, Brooks Publishing.

>From my understanding of inner speech - it is more of a mediator to regulate
behavior and cognitive organization as well as other processes.  Earlier
Laura Berk was mentioned and her work is terrific. Also, you might want to
look into Adele Diamond's work on executive functioning in young children.

Molly