Inner speech and sentence processing

Susana Lopez Ornat slornat at psi.ucm.es
Mon Mar 10 16:40:46 UTC 2008

Roxana:

Time ago I did work on the types of processing in comprehension tasks of L1.
I compared experimentally children of different ages with adults of
different educational levels. It was a reading task. I tested for the
comprehension of the (Spanish) sentences I used. Those were sentences with
simple contents but with one embedded sentence inside a main one. They were
presented in an attractive colourful poster form. Written. The subjects
could keep seing them for as long as desired. I did find very clear
differential comprehension results. Part of the sample "solved" the problem
by *speaking out loud*. That is the bit (I think) that interests you. This
is all informed in:

 Susana López Ornat (1987)Automatización y control de la comprensión del
lenguaje .En: (Ed)M.Yela: Estudios sobre inteligencia y lenguaje. Madrid,
Pirámide 172-200. ISBN:84-368-0365-5

Also,

those results rose in me the questioning about "inner language". That had
been "externalised" by some of the subjects in the sample: intermediate
language development children but ALSO intermediate culture adults. This
lead me to prepare a paper, which is only theoretical, about the subject. It
is:

S.López Ornat (1991 b)El lenguaje en la mente. En: (Eds) M.M.Serrano & M.
Siguán(Eds): Comunicación y Lenguaje, Vol VI, En: (Eds) J.Mayor + J.L.
Pinillos: Tratado de psicología general; Madrid, Alhambra Universidad.
443-462.

Good luck

Susana López Ornat

Dpto Psicología Básica II