how to do the research--new book on bilingualism research

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Tue Mar 11 12:59:34 UTC 2008

Dear Jmlee,

There are now many people around the world doing research on childhood
bilingualism.  It will help to know more specifically what questions about
the phenomenon are of interest to you in order to steer you in the right
direction.

AS IT HAPPENS, I have just written (!) a book on raising bilingual children.
It is aimed at parents, but it also makes a good overview of research in the
field which I hope will be useful to people who work with children and as an
introduction for students.  (Dear Infochildes Colleagues--I did not put
jmlee53 up to asking this!)  The book is called Raising a Bilingual Child
and will be released by Random House April 15 (but it is already *available
for pre-order* on Amazon at a discounted price:
http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Bilingual-Child-Living-Language/dp/1400023343/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205239637&sr=8-2 )
(Those who want to support their independent bookstore can no doubt begin
asking for it there, too.)

You can see some comments (or "advance praise") from several people who have
read the book here: http://www.umass.edu/aae/bp_indexold.htm (click "book
blurbs")  The 23 pages of endnotes, which supplement the abbreviated notes
in the book, are already on my website under "Publications."

A party and book launch will take place here in Amherst on April 27.  I was
going to be writing to InfoChildes *soon* to solicit other people's
suggestions for how to publicize the book.  Thank you for giving me an
"opening."  I would like to hear more details about your and your child's
experience, and I am more than willing to explore with you where you can
learn more about this, and perhaps begin some research of your own.

Best wishes,

Barbara
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Research Associate,
Depts of Linguistics and Communication Disorders
226 South College
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003

Tel: 413-545-5023