References on language test translation/adaptation

Beth Prado prado.beth at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 11:02:21 UTC 2008

I have have done quite a bit of work adapting language and cognitive tests
for both adults and children to a language spoken in Indonesia called
Sasak.  I agree that the word 'adaptation' is much better than
'translation.'  I can think of at least four things that must be adapted -
the items, the instructions, the materials, and the format of the test. We
always worked with the goal of testing the same underlying ability as the
original test but using items, materials, etc. that are appropriate to the
local context.  I don't know much that is published on the topic but would
be glad to discuss in more detail if you would like.
Beth

Elizabeth Prado
Psychology Department Fylde C Floor Lancaster LA14YF UK
Tel: 01524 593560
Website: http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/people/BethPrado.html