References on language test translation/adaptation

isa barriere barriere.isa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:53:32 UTC 2008

Dear Tobias,

There is a recent article that you may find very useful: Pena, E.D. (2007)
Lost in translation: methodological considerations in cross-cultural
research.  Child development, 78 (4): 1255-1264.

It was published after Is started working on an adaptation of the CDI to
(religious) Yiddish children and I have found it very useful, including the
concepts it emphasizes- functional equivalence, cultural equivalence and
metric equivalence.

It also includes a rich relevant and up to date bibliography.

Best,

Isabelle Barriere, PhD
Director of Policy for Research and Education
Yeled v'Yalda Early Chilldhood Center
Co-Director, YVY Research Institute