Early phonological development

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Thu May 22 13:13:36 UTC 2008

Dear Nina,
I second the choice of 10 children.  The number you need, I believe, depends
on the variability in your measures, (which I suspect is pretty great in
early phonological measures), but I have found as a rule of thumb that 10 is
better than 7 and not usually much better than 12.  When I have done
preliminary analyses of groups before all the data were collected, group
means from 6 and 7 children were rarely within a standard error plus or
minus of the eventual group (of around 30), whereas groups of 10 almost
always were.  You might start out with a couple extra though to guard
against technical failures and non-cooperation--or hurricanes, in our case!

Good luck,
Barbara
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Research Associate,
Depts of Linguistics and Communication Disorders
226 South College
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003

Tel: 413-545-5023