Early phonological development

Bruno Estigarribia brunilda at gmail.com
Sat May 24 19:15:21 UTC 2008

Nina,

Clearly, a rule of thumb like that provided by Barbara is useful.
However, I would say the number of children, sampling frequency, and
duration of each sample is mostly determined by the questions you want
to ask and the kind of analysis you have in mind. It seems to me that 60
minute samples are too long, unless (a) you want to highly increase your
estimates' accuracy at each timepoint or (b) you are looking at
infrequent variables. Or, if you were planning to use time series
analysis, for instance, you may have enough with half the children and
30 minute samples, because you'll need a lot more data points for each
child. The bottomline is: now is when you need to plan your questions
and analysis very carefully, and the answer will depend very directly on
the particulars of your analysis plan.
And of course, another crucial thing is your recording equipment, but
since you didn't ask about that, I assume you're all set!
Bruno Estigarribia
FPG Child Development Institute
Neurodevelopmental Disorders Research Center
UNC - Chapel Hill