Job Opportunity!

Tom Roeper roeper at linguist.umass.edu
Fri Nov 14 20:33:42 UTC 2008

Dear Roberta---
   it was great to see you at BU.  Sorry we did not have more of a chance to
chat.  This looks like an interesting
project.  I think that ellipsis and quantification in language are very
important to these questions.  In fact, Barbara
Pearson and I have worked on a proposal connecting langauge and math in
elementary school.  I just wanted
to alert you to the possible connection---because most people don't see it.
(Some of the ellipsis examples in
my book on pennies are pertinent/)  So if you remember the example I used,
one just has to add numbers:

There are five children playing in the yard and five children outside.
[two children inside have hats, and one outside]
      Do three have hats?

One could answer "no" if one reconstructs [do 3 children outside] have
hats?  These ambiguities
are all over the place in children's math problems, and teachers often do
not see them.

See what I mean?

best,  Tom

--