Call for papers: Child Language Seminar, City University London, June 24-25 2010

Chloe Chloe.Marshall.1 at city.ac.uk
Tue Aug 4 08:27:19 UTC 2009

Dear Info-CHILDES members,

The next Child Language Seminar will be held at City University
London, June 24-25 2010 (with registration and wine reception on the
evening of June 23). Please see our webpage for further details,
http://www.city.ac.uk/lcs/childlanguageseminar.html. These details
will be updated regularly. Meanwhile, the current details are
duplicated below:

The Child Language Seminar (CLS) was first held in 1977. It is an
interdisciplinary conference attracting a diverse audience of, among
others, psychologists, linguists and speech and language therapists,
and provides a forum for research on first and second language
acquisition in typically and atypically developing children.

Please follow the links below for further information. If you can't
find what you need, please e-mail Chloe Marshall at Chloe.Marshall.
1 at city.ac.uk.

Organising committee  /  Programme  /  Keynote speakers  /  Call for
papers  /  Key dates  /  Registration  /  Venue  /  Accommodation  /
Travel

Organising committee:
Nicola Botting, Shula Chiat and Chloe Marshall (co-chairs)
Lucy Dipper
Barbara Dodd
Andrea Dohmen
Natalie Hasson
Ros Herman
Hannah Hockey
Rachael Anne Knight
Abigail Levin
Wolfgang Mann
Gary Morgan
Lucy Myers
Michele Pettinato
Kamila Polisenska
Belinda Seeff-Gabriel
David Williams
Anne Zimmer-Stahl

Programme:
More details will follow soon...

Keynote speakers:
Our keynote speakers will be:

Professor Sue Gathercole (University of York) - "Working memory,
language and classroom learning"
Dr Ann Senghas (Barnard College of Columbia University, New York) -
"From gestures to grammar - How learners created Nicaraguan Sign
Language"
Dr Simon Fisher (Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics at the
University of Oxford) - "Building bridges between genes, brains and
language"
There will also be an invited symposium on autism and language led by
Dr David Williams (City University London).
More details will follow soon...

Call for papers:
Proposals are invited for papers and posters related to child language
acquisition and disorders. Proposals will be considered on any aspect
of children’s first or subsequent language development (e.g., grammar,
phonology, lexicon, pragmatics, discourse, literacy, bilingualism,
sign language, psycholinguistic processing) or on any aspect relating
to children with language difficulties (e.g., description, assessment,
remediation). The CLS is a peer-reviewed research conference and all
proposals will be reviewed blindly by members of the organising
committee.

Presentation format
Proposals should indicate whether an oral presentation or poster is
preferred. The programme committee views both formats as having equal
value but reserves the right to switch formats to suit the programme.
Presenters will be notified about the final format of their
presentation at the time their proposal is accepted.

Oral presentations will last 20 mins, plus 10 mins for discussion
Posters may be viewed all day, with a wine reception at which authors
will be present in the evening
Proposal format
Proposals must be written in English and include the following:

Cover Page:

Title of presentation
Authors’ names and affiliations
Name, address, telephone number and email address of contact person
Preferred presentation format (oral presentation or poster)

Abstract:

Title of presentation
Summary of research undertaken (300 words maximum, single spaced)
Do not include authors’ names
Submitting proposals
Proposals must be composed in either MS Word or RTF format with paper
size set to A4 and submitted as an attachment to an email (not as part
of the mail body of the email) to: Chloe.Marshall.1 at city.ac.uk

Key dates:
Submission of abstracts: 31 December 2009

Notification of acceptance/rejection: 31 January 2010

Registration open: 1 February 2010

Programme published on website: 1 April 2010

Early registration deadline (reduced fee): 1 May 2010

Registration and wine reception: 23 June 2010

CLS meeting: 24-25 June 2010, with conference dinner 24 June

Registration
We are currently working out the costings for the conference, and will
endeavour to keep the registration fee as low as possible, with a
discount for students. As a guide, when the CLS was last held
(University of Reading, 2007), the fees were £185 for early
registration (and only £135 for students). We do not envisage the fees
being higher than that this time round, although we will have to
charge separately for the conference dinner.

Venue
The CLS will be held at City University London. Founded in 1894 as the
Northampton Institute on its present site and awarded full university
status in 1966, City University London has special links with the City
of London and plays an active role in the business and professional
life of the capital. We pride ourselves on our close contacts with the
leading professional institutions and with business and industry, both
at home and abroad. Our success is demonstrated by our graduate
employment record, which is one of the best in the country. We are
also the sixth most popular university in the UK for student
applications. Our reputation extends worldwide: of almost 10,000 City
University London students, more than 40 per cent are international,
the majority of these from outside the European Union.

The Department of Language and Communication Science is a member of
the School of Community and Health Sciences. We have been providing
education to Speech and Language Therapists for over 50 years. We
developed from the London Hospital School of Speech Therapy, founded
by Winifred Kingdon Ward in 1942. In 1982 we linked with City
University London, becoming a full Department in 1986.

We are the largest teaching, research and clinical department in the
UK, providing courses leading both to registration as a practitioner
in speech and language therapy and post-registration opportunities for
a range of professionals working in communication disability.

We are a dynamic and forward-thinking department in which
contributions to professional developments, teaching and learning,
research and clinical application are flourishing.

The Department of Language and Communication Science is located in the
Social Science Building, part of the main university campus in
Northampton Square. You can find more information about the Department
here, and maps of City University London here.

Accommodation
We are asking delegates to kindly book their own conference
accommodation, as there are lots of hotels near to City University
London. Some that we recommend are:

Harlingford Hotel

Hilton Hotel Islington

Holiday Inn Kings Cross

Jurys Inn Islington

Thistle Hotel Barbican

Travelodge Kings Cross

Travel
City University London is located only 15 minutes by foot from St
Pancras International, making us easily accessible to delegates who
wish to arrive by Eurostar.

If you prefer to fly, trains from Luton Airport and Gatwick Airport
run direct to St Pancras International. The nearest tube stations to
City University London are Angel, on the Northern Line, and
Farringdon, on the Circle/Hammersmith & City/Metropolitan lines. If
you arrive at Stansted Airport there's a train to Liverpool Street
Station which is a quick tube journey away from Farringdon, and if you
come in to Heathrow Airport the tube journey is under an hour to Kings
Cross, which is then one stop away from Angel. You can get further
details on travelling in London here.

You can find all sorts of useful travel information at http://www.travelinlondon.org/.

We look forward to seeing you at CLS in 2010!