Pace of early language development

Philip Dale dalep at unm.edu
Thu Aug 13 15:41:46 UTC 2009

An interesting discussion, and I agree with Gisela that this issue may say
as much about societal and researcher concerns as it does about child
development. But a few psychometric and other thoughts:
1. High variance does not preclude a mean difference. It just means that the
mean difference will be harder to demonstrate, as it will require larger
samples for adequate statistical power.
2. A small mean difference may well have less practical meaning when the
variance is large - the same argument is often made with respect to sex
differences in language and other cognitive skills. But it may not. A small
shift in means of a normal distribution will have a much larger effect on
the number of individuals who are more extreme than a selected criterion
score. (This issue *also* comes up in discussions of sex differences.)
3. Given the general tendency of scores to drift upwards on almost all
standardized tests (including the Bayley), the 'Flynn Effect', it is unlike
that there has been a genuine downward drift in language ability - but it
would be good to have real data on this.
4. A personal bet: I think if there is any change going on, it is more
likely to be with respect to what is sometimes called decontextualized
language use, sometimes Cognitive-Academic Language Proficiency, sometimes
other labels. That is, a particular pragmatic use of language which in some
sense doesn't come naturally, one that needs instruction and practice, and
is much stimulated by literacy. Given the diminished role of literacy in
children's lives - a demonstrable fact - this could be a real change. Of
course, data would be even better, but measures of DL/CALP are much more
recent so we don't have much of a basis yet.

Philip Dale

  _____