Fully funded PhD studentship at Lancaster University

Katie Alcock k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 14:18:51 UTC 2009

Please forward this to any interested potential PhD students.

Lancaster University, Department of Psychology

Fully funded PhD Studentship

Closing date for applications: 4th September 2009

As a consequence of successful applications to external funding bodies, the
Psychology Department is able to offer a fully funded teaching studentship
commencing in October 2009, in Social Psychology, Developmental Psychology,
Cognitive Psychology, History of Psychology, Forensic/Investigative
Psychology or Neuroscience.

The department has a very strong and vibrant research atmosphere, which we
encourage postgraduates to be part of. Our belief in inclusive excellence is
demonstrated in the last, externally validated, research assessment
exercise; every one of our academic staff was recognised as being research
active, with 85% of our research outputs being of international standing.
Informal enquiries about research topics can be directed to any member of
staff prior to application, using the contact details on their departmental
web page. Details of our research expertise can be found at:
http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/res/intro.html

The studentship will cover Home (UK/EU) fees, plus a stipend equivalent to
current Research Council grants, for up to three years. As this is a
teaching studentship, the successful applicant would be expected to
contribute up to six hours of teaching per week for two academic terms. This
would normally involve leading first or second year seminar groups, and
assisting in laboratory classes.

We have excellent research facilities and a first class supervision record
with a 100% submission success rate for our research council funded
students. In addition, all our students receive their own research support
budgets which can be used to attend national and international conferences.

Applicants should have a good (2:i or above) undergraduate degree in
Psychology or a related discipline. As this is a teaching studentship,
preference will be given to applicants with post-graduate qualifications
(e.g. an MSc) or some postgraduate research experience.

Further details concerning postgraduate study in psychology at Lancaster can
be found at: www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/pg/phd.html
<http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/pg/phd.html>

Details on the application procedure can be found at:
http://www.psych.lancs.ac.uk/pg/phdapply.html

Interviews will be held in the week beginning 14th September 2009.

For further information concerning the studentships, or about postgraduate
study more generally, please contact Dr Mark Levine, Director of Graduate
Studies (m.levine at lancaster.ac.uk).