Communication in Art

Laura Morett lmorett at ucsc.edu
Sun Aug 16 23:29:41 UTC 2009

Dear Keith,
I am not sure whether you are aware of this, but there are several
well-documented cases of exceptional (savant) artistic ability in some
children with autism (see, for example, the chapter "The Autist
Artist" in Oliver Sacks' The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat--I
believe this individual was also later profiled in a 60 Minutes
feature a couple of years ago).  My guess is that, given the facility
that many autistic children exhibit with computers, they would be
especially likely to create digital art works--probably more so than
neurotypical children.  I am not sure whether you would be interested
in including this population in your research, but if so, you might
consider getting in touch with some researchers who work regularly
with autistic children to see if you might be able to talk to the
parents of any highly-artistic autistic children regarding your
research topic.  Personally, I think it would be extremely interesting
to study this population to see if they use art as a means of
communication in lieu of language, or if they seem to use it more
simply as a means of self-satisfaction.  Just a thought.

Regards,
Laura Morett

Laura M. Morett
Ph.D. Student