ask for suggestions on research methodology

yqwang yqwang at admin.ecnu.edu.cn
Tue Dec 15 13:20:30 UTC 2009

This is the first time I ask for help here. I am looking forward for your kind suggestions.

In my Ph.D. dissertation, I want to conduct a study on kindergarten English instruction. Since 1990s, parents are crazy for young kids’ English learning in China. It’s a fact in Shanghai that most kindergarten provide English program for 3-6 year children. It seems that parents are over-anxious. However, what is the relationship between kindergarten English learning and later English achievement? Can the early start guarantee more success? What are the optimal conditions for children to learn a foreign language? I think a careful study is necessary and of great significance to both parents and kindergarten teachers. How can I conduct my study effectively?  Is there anyone have done relevant studies? Suggestions on methodology are especially welcome.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to offer regarding this point.

Ellen

Ellen Wang
Ph.D. Student
Children’s Language Development and Education Area
Department of Preschool Education
East China Normal University
Shanghai, China