AW: ask for suggestions on research methodology

Kristina Bedijs k_bedijs at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 15 14:24:21 UTC 2009

Hi Ellen,

There are several studies on the subject ongoing in Europe. It is a general belief that English learning has to start as early as possible, to avoid disadvantages for the child and to benefit from the so-called "open frames" in language acquisition that might close later, once the child has acquired its own mother tongue completely.

One study you might be interested in is "The main pedagogical principles underlying the teaching of languages to very young learners. Languages for the children of Europe. Published Research, Good Practice & Main Principles", conducted by the European Commission. You find it here: http://ec.europa.eu/education/policies/lang/doc/young_en.pdf

As to your study, I would suggest you undertake English language competence tests within kindergarten children and primary school children. It would be best if you could find primary school children with and without former English schooling in kindergarten. Results may prove either advantages for those children starting very soon, or show no differences at all between the children's competences, whether they started at 3 or at 6 years.

Hope that helps!

Kristina (Göttingen, Germany)