Literature on acquisition of spatial particles in English

Karla Vrbova karla.vrbova at centrum.cz
Mon Jan 12 19:33:14 UTC 2009

Dear Mr Snyder,

thank you very much for responding to my question! This sounds very good and I am going to read the article and the book.

Best wishes

Karla

 > Od: william.snyder at uconn.edu
 > Komu: info-childes at googlegroups.com
 > Datum: 09.01.2009 19:32
 > Předmět: Re: Literature on acquisition of spatial particles in English

 Dear Karla,

 I've done quite a bit of work on children's acquisition of English
 spatial particles, and I have a proposal concerning why English differs
 from languages like Czech in this respect.

 The generalization seems to be that a language permits separable spatial
 particles (as in _LIFT the book UP_), only if it freely allows the
 creation of novel, endocentric root compounds (as in _zoo book_, for a
 book about the zoo).

 I haven't examined Czech, but my guess is that it's similar to Russian
 and Serbo-Croatian in this respect: Instead of a bare root compound like
 "zoo book," one would need to say something more like 'book on zoos' or
 perhaps 'book zoo-GENITIVE'. (Note that genitive modifiers are quite
 different from bare root compounding.) If so, it's expected that Czech
 would resort to something other than separable particles; the
 inseparable prefixes that you mention are one of the options that we
 find in such languages.

 For more information about my proposals, and for supporting evidence
 (from children acquisition of English, and from cross-linguistic surveys
 of adult speakers), you can refer to the following:

 Snyder, W. (2001) "On the nature of syntactic variation: Evidence from
 complex predicates and complex word-formation. "
 /Language/ 77:324-342. [http://web2.uconn.edu/snyder/papers/Snyder_Lg.pdf]

 Snyder, W. (2007) /Child Language: The Parametric Approach/. Oxford
 University Press. [Chapter 5]

 Very best wishes,

 William Snyder