Basic literature for undergrad classes

Matthew Saxton M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 08:14:38 UTC 2009

Dear Kristina,

Maybe too late for this year, but do please try the following:

Saxton, M. (forthcoming, February 2010). Child language: Acquisition and development. London: Sage.

Unlike pretty much every other book on child language, this book takes a balanced approach to the nature-nurture issue. It is geared towards students with no background in linguistics. Every term (from noun onwards) is explained and exemplified, either in the glossary or in the text, and there are exercises to practice linguistic concepts (with answers).

If your experience is anything like mine, you will have found that students are massively enthused by child language in the classroom, but then often hit a brick wall later when faced with the literature, replete as it is with linguistic terms which require some prior knowledge.

My book also has discussion points, practical exercises, further reading and recommended websites to help students with their learning. And, dare I say, it is written in a student-friendly way.

Apologies for continuing the well-worn tradition of self-promotion.

Regards,

Matthew Saxton.