Calculating the number of English syllables

Katie Alcock k.j.alcock at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 15:37:22 UTC 2009

Silent "vowels" aren't vowel sounds - they are letters, but not vowel
sounds. From this I'm assuming you are meaning you start with the number of
vowel letters, and with the written form of the word.

As some diphthongs are spelled with only one vowel letter (e.g. "go",
"crown") I think you may mean digraphs ("bread").  But since other dipthongs
are spelled with two vowel letters ("near" in Southern British English), and
some words have a syllable transition between two adjacent vowels - hiatus
("naïve" and indeed "hiatus"), I'm not sure such an approach will work with
English written words.

I imagine someone much more knowledgeable than me has attempted to
automatically tag English words with the number of syllables, but I wouldn't
begin to attempt it!

Katie

Katie Alcock, DPhil, CPsychol
Lecturer