Calculating the number of English syllables

Gareth gpmorgan12 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:22:34 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,
Thank you for the great responses. They have been very helpful and
have answered some of my questions. I have a related issue that I
would like to pose the group. When calculating the number of syllables
in a word in English, what do you think about the following set of
rules:

---count the vowels in the word,
---subtract any silent vowels, (like the silent "e" at the end of a
word or the second vowel when two vowels a
   together in a syllable)
---subtract one vowel from every dipthong, (diphthongs only count as
one vowel sound.)
---the number of vowels sounds left is the same as the number of
syllables.

Can any see any major flaws or additional rules/exceptions that may
need adding?

Thanks

Gareth

PS. the rules were taken from http://english.glendale.cc.ca.us/syllables.html