Basic literature for undergrad classes

Evan Kidd Evan.J.Kidd at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 22:27:01 UTC 2009

Hi Katie and list members,

I also teach more adult psycholinguistics than child language, and use
Trevor Harley's book:

Harley, T. (2008). The psychology of language: from data to theory.
Hove: Psychology press.

It's a very comprehensive book, and has a great glossary at the back
that I encourage my students to photocopy and bring to class so that
they can easily look up any terminology they don't know. The textbook
itself covers an amazingly broad range of topics and is fairly on top
of the latest research.

As for child language books, in one of my other roles as book review
editor for JCL, we have recently published a book review of 3
textbooks. It is available ahead of print in the "First View" option
on the JCL website.

Best wishes,

Evan