Calculating the number of English syllables

Marc Ettlinger ettlinger at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:55:59 UTC 2009

As the other commenters have alluded to, I think English spelling is
too complicated to count syllables with such a simple algorithm.
The mapping from English orthography to modern English phonology is
just too complex.
In addition to the above examples (e.g. hiatus vs. heater) you have
'fiance' vs. 'bottle' vs. 'dance' on final vowels as well as other
near minimal pairs like 'wire'/'tire' (2 syllables for many) vs.
'while'/'tile' (also 2 for some) and 'white'/'tight' (1 syllable for
most), not to mention the dialectal variation on those words.
Figuring something out for syllables would ultimately require first
solving the problem of mapping from spelling to sounds and if you can
figure that out, I'm sure text-to-speech companies would be
grateful ;)