call for papers

Cornelia Schulze cornelia.schulze at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 30 08:23:02 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I just wanted to direct your attention to a potentially interesting
conference on semantics and pragmatics that will be held in May (13th
- 15th) next year in Leipzig. We invite the submission of abstracts
(for paper or poster presentations) adressing one of the following
issues:

What does it mean that something has been said?
Is there literal meaning and how does it constitute utterance meaning?
What kind of pragmatic inference is relevant for utterance
understanding on different levels of utterance interpretation?
Do we need default-inferences in order to catch meaning-aspects of
utterances ‘beyond the words’, these inferences being cancelled in
case of purely literal meaning?
How is pragmatic information processed (relation between procedural
effort and the respective communicative effect of the utterance)?
What is the pragmatic foundation of grammatical relations?

Moreover we invite papers describing experimental studies with
children concerning the acquisition of pragmatic knowledge and / or
with adult speakers concerning the theoretical issues mentioned above.

Abstracts of no more than 500 words (excluding references and tables)
should be sent by email as a pdf-attchment to cschulze at rz.uni-
leipzig.de by 15 November 2009.

Speakers: Reinhard Blutner, Richard Breheny, Napoleon Katsos, Rudi
Keller, Ira Noveck, Gerhard Preyer, Michael Tomasello

You'll find further information on www.beyondthewordsconference.wordpress.com.

All the best, Conny