Perception of children's vs. adult L2 learners' errors

Laura Morett lmorett at ucsc.edu
Sun Apr 18 08:13:12 UTC 2010

I am in the process of writing my qualifying paper, and one of my
sections focuses on differences in children's vs. adult L2 learners'
phonological acquisition.  Does anyone know of any research concerning
how children's and L2 learners' pronunciation errors are perceived by
their interlocutors? It seems intuitive that children's errors would
be more likely to be overlooked and would be perceived as "cute,"
whereas L2 learners' errors would be more likely to be perceived as
"annoying" (and perhaps even as "uneducated"); however, I have as yet
been unable to locate any research substantiating this claim, and I am
admittedly not very well-versed in this particular line of research.
If any such research exists, I would greatly appreciate if if you
could point me to it.

Thanks,
Laura

Laura Maribeth Morett