sequential bilingualism in remote aboriginal communities in australia

larry larry.kenny at ntschools.net
Mon Aug 23 14:26:09 UTC 2010

This message is a request for advice and guidance regarding sequential
bilinguals in the unique context of remote Aboriginal communities in
Australia. I'm a teaching principal in a remote Aboriginal school in
the Western Desert of Central Australia and a Phd student. I have been
reading SLA literature, reseach and methodolgies and have some
questions for the many experts that subscribe to this group.
I have been given permission from four remote Aboriginal communities
and from the relevant Government departments to access data collected
from these four communities. I have passed the relevant CoC and HREC
processes of my university and now truly embark on my Phd project

This data tracks the developing English usage of 30 six year old
children over 10 months.
The collection method involved digital video recordings, and
subsequent transcription.

After much reading i have some concerns regarding the data collection
methods from an SLA perspective and I'd like to ask for advice and
guidance.

The elicitation task was a set of four sequenced pictures that
depicted a culturally relevant event.
The elicitation task was designed with the same two broad open ended
question for each of the four pictures
The introduction to the elicitation task for the children was
conducted in both languages.
The elicitation task itself was conducted in English

Does anyone see any problems yet?

I am anticipating that the data can be analysed using CHILDES CLAN.
I'd like to use the data to see if any patterns or profiles emerge in
the acquisition of English by these particular children.

I realise that this is a brief overview and would be happy to provide
more details if required