Intelligibility of children's speech

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at research.umass.edu
Wed Feb 3 22:19:35 UTC 2010

Dear Mats,

Ana Navarro did her dissertation at UMiami in 1998 on what we called
"language intelligibility," but a by-product was a measure of general
intelligibility.

Words and short phrases were taken from audiotapes of 30 children, average
age 26 months. (1/3 of the children were bilingual, but there were no
differences by language group.)  There were some adult utterances as well,
for comparison.  Listeners heard the utterances through headphones, playing
them as many times as they wanted from the computer.  Their task was to
identify what the child said.  If they couldn't say what the child said,
they were to say which language they thought the child was speaking.  That
was the goal of the experiment, so we discounted any utterances that the
listener understood.  Average percentage of utterances understood was 24%.

So, this is not exactly like what you are remembering.  The utterances were
all intelligible in the context of the original audiotapes, and they were
presented auditorily without context.  The adult utterances in the same
protocol were pretty much all understood.  We were amazed at the low
percentage of the children's utterances that were understood without
auditory--or visual--context.

The experiment was written up in ISB4:
Navarro, A., Pearson, B. Z., Cobo-Lewis, A.B., & Oller, D. K. (2005).
Differentiation in early phonological adaptation?   In J. Cohen, K.
McAlister, K. Rolstad, & J. MacSwan (Eds.) ISB4: Proceedings of the 4 th
International Symposium on Bilingualism (pp.1690-1702).   Somerville, MA:
Cascadilla Press.

I'll be interested in other measures that you hear about--and if you find
the original article you are thinking about.

Best,
Barbara
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Depts of Linguistics & Communication Disorders
RAB, 70 Butterfield Terrace
University of Massachusetts
Amherst MA 01003

Tel: 413-545-5023