List of semantic features

Ambridge, Ben Ben.Ambridge at liverpool.ac.uk
Fri Feb 5 12:32:44 UTC 2010

Dear all

First of all, I don't know anything about this area, so please forgive me if this question is spectacularly ignorant!

Does anyone know if anybody has ever attempted to produce a reasonably exhaustive list of semantic features (e.g., MOTION, CAUSE etc...) which can be "present", "absent" or "indifferent" for each of a given set of items (I'm mainly interested in verbs, but also nouns).

I'm not looking for articles that debate the merits of componential analysis (with reference to only a few example features) or articles that group together verbs in terms of similar semantics (e.g., Levin, 1993) - just the longest possible list of candidate semantic features.

To avoid cluttering everyone's inboxes, please reply to me directly - Ben.Ambridge at Liverpool.ac.uk<mailto:Ben.Ambridge at Liverpool.ac.uk> -  and I'll post a summary to the list.

Thanks!
Ben