Updated self-contained toddler recording harness?

Deunk, Marjolein nielojram at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:22:13 UTC 2010

Hi Bill,
I used 'jackets' with recording device inside to study children's
natural speech in preschool classrooms. We designed colorful jackets
(unique color combinations also made it easier to distinguish between
children in the classroom later on) with space to hide a recorder at
the back and a microphone at the front. The wire from microphone to
recording device ran through the lining of the jacket. I used sony
minidisc recorders, because that seemed to be the best solution at the
time, but I guess there are mp3 recorders to which one can connect
omnidirectional microphones available nowadays. The problem with Sony
is that it doesn't record in mp3 or wav format, so you'll have to
convert the recordings. It is of course easiest to record in the
correct format right away. The advantage of  jackets with recording
equipment inside is that there is no signal transmission to a receiver
like in the Bristol Study of Gordon Wells (probably the first to
record spontaneous speech this way), so you can 'wire' multiple
children simultaneously without problems. You can find more
information about my 'recording jackets' (including pictures) in my
dissertation, chapter 1 and throughout the book.

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/faculties/arts/2009/m.i.deunk/?pLanguage=en

Kind regards,
Marjolein

--
Marjolein Deunk
GION - Institute for Educational Research
m.i.deunk at rug.nl