Literature on children's understanding of non-literal meaning

Isenthia kristinborjesson at yahoo.de
Sat Jan 23 10:57:38 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I was wondering whether you could help me find literature (preferably
articles) on children's understanding of non-literal meaning such as
metaphor, idioms, metonymy and also irony, indirect speech acts or
sarcasm, etc.

I know of a lot of empirical studies that investigate whether there
are differences in understanding of so-called `literal meaning' vs.
`non-literal meaning'. However, all of those (that I know) have adult
subjects. I also know that there IS literature on children's
understanding non-literal meaning/language (I'm interested especially
in theories on how and when it is acquired, possibly with differences
for different types of non-literal meaning). However, it would
probably take me quite some time finding that as I don't know where to
look for it and would have to start by feeding google with rather
unspecific search items ;)

So, I hope you can help me cutting this 'rummaging' short.

Thanks.
Kristin