Literature on children's understanding of non-literal meaning

Aliyah MORGENSTERN aliyah.morgenstern at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 11:09:20 UTC 2010

Dear Kristin,

I am redirecting your query to two French colleagues: one works on
metaphors in typical and autistic children (Karine Duvigneau), and the
other coordinates and works herself on humor (Michèle Guidetti). They
might give you references.
Here are some of the references we've been sharing for our work on
humor, (some are in French):
Bariaud, F. (1983). La genèse de l’humour chez l’enfant. Paris : PUF.

Behne, T., Carpenter, M. & Tomasello, M. (2005). Unwilling versus
unable: infants understanding of intentional action. Developmental
Psychology, 41 (2), 328-337.

Bernicot, J., Laval, V. & Chaminaud, S. (2007). Nonliteral language
forms in children : In what order are they acquired in pragmatics and
metapragmatics ? Journal of Pragmatics, 39, 2115–2132.

Cameron, E.L., Kennedy, K.M. & Cameron, C.A. (2008). “Let me show you
a trick!”: a toddler’s use of humor to explore, interpret and
negotiate her familial environment during a day in the life. Journal
of Research in Childhood Education, 25, 127-138.

Clark, H. H. (1996). Using Language. Cambridge: CUP.

Del Ré, A. (2003). A criança e a magia da linguagem: um estudo sobre o
discurso humorístico. São Paulo,v.1. 265 f, v.2 164 f. Tese (Doutorado
em Lingüística. Área de Concentração: Semiótica e Lingüística Geral),
Faculdade de Filosofia, Letras e Ciências Humanas, Universidade de São
Paulo.

Hoicka, E. & Gattis, M. (2008). Do the wrong thing: how toddlers tell
a joke from a mistake. Cognitive Development, 23, 180-190.

Hoicka, E. Jutsum, S. & Gattis, M. (2008). Humor, abstraction and
disbelief. Cognitive Science, 32, 985-1002

Horgan, D. (1981). Learning to tell jokes: a case study of
metalinguistic abilities. Journal of Child Language, 8, 217-224.

Hoskens, J. Martinot, C & Guidetti, M. (2009a). Developmental aspects
of humor production. Poster présenté au Workshop on Pragmatic
Development, Lyon, Avril.

Johnson, K.E. & Mervis, C.B. (1997). First steps in the emergence of
verbal humor: a case study. Infant Behavior and Development, 20(2),
187-196.

Kintsch, W., & Van Dijk, T. A. (1978). Towards a Model of Text
Comprehension and Production. Psychological Review, 85, 363-394.

Laval, V. & Bert-Erboul, A. (2005). French speaking-children’s
understanding of sarcasm : the role of intonation and context. Journal
of Speech, Language and Hearing Research, 48(3), 610-620.

Laval, V., de Weck, G., Chaminaud, S. & Lacroix, A. (2009). Contexte
et compréhension des expressions idiomatiques : une étude chez des
enfants francophones présentant une dysphasie de type phonologique
syntaxique. Swiss Journal of Psychology, 68(1), 51-60.

Loizou, E. (2007). Humor as a means of regulating one’s social self :
two infants with unique humorous personas. Early Child Development and
Care, 177(2), 195-205.

Lyons, V. & Fizgerald, M. (2004). Humor in autism and Asperger
syndrome. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 34(5), 521-531.

McGhee, P.E. (&979). Humor : its origin and development. San
Fransisco : W.H. Freeman and Co.

Piaget, J. & Inhelder, B. (1966). La psychologie de l’enfant. Paris :
PUF.

Reddy, V. (1991). Playing with other’s expectations: teasing and
mucking about in the first year. In : A. Whiten (ed.) Natural theories
of mind (pp. 143-158). Oxford: Basil Blackwell.

Saint-James, P.J. & Tager-Flusberg, H. (1994). An observational study
of humor in autism and Down syndrome. Journal of Autism and
Developmental Disorders, 24(5), 603-617.

Thommen, E. & Suchet, C. (&999). Humour et intentionnalité chez
l’enfant : Incongruités de propriétés entre l’homme et l’animal.
Archives de Psychologie, 67, 215-238.

Aliyah MORGENSTERN

Professeur de linguistique
Université Sorbonne Nouvelle - Paris 3