arabic acquisition

Nan Ratner NRATNER at hesp.umd.edu
Thu Jul 8 21:23:03 UTC 2010

A doc student and I are starting a project to track outcomes in cochlear implant users in Saudi Arabia. We would appreciate any leads on child speech/language acquisition in Arabic, particularly in this specific region (we do know that Arabic shares many features with Hebrew and are pursuing this), especially work in progress or otherwise not easily tracked through typical bibliographic search utilities.

 Further, we feel that Frog stories may not be culturally appropriate to use in eliciting narratives in this population (the animals are either unfamiliar or have negative valence locally) - does anyone know of a picture book that might be more appropriate for eliciting narratives from children 4-12?

Any help most greatly appreciated!

Nan Ratner

Nan Bernstein Ratner, Professor and Chairman
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
0100 Lefrak Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
nratner at hesp.umd.edu